The whole point of this sculpture was to make a Jack Skellington with super awesome wings, and I've decided after months of deliberation that this sculpture works way better without the wings. I still have those wings though, and I will find a good way to use them.
In other news, I'm currently working on another Nightmare Before Christmas sculpture involving Jack and Sally. My weaknesses with the previous Jack and Sally sculpture: feet and hands. Guess what I'm going to try and improve on this time? #hooray for second chances.
I just picked up a soldering multi-tool and I've been experimenting with it. Came up with this bird-like body just by melting plastic garbage together. I'm aiming to turn it into a phoenix, an especially meaningful symbol after the fires in Fort McMurray, AB.
So exciting, I just found out I get to paint a third chair for the AIRdirondack Art Project! So I'm doing an animal themed chair again (first chair was a bluejay, second was a frog) but each year my style has become less abstract and more representational/realistic. This next chair will be the most real-to-life animal I've done. Also, and it took me long enough, I'm going to do something awesome on the back!
I've had a most spectacular opportunity to showcase about 30 pieces of art in the Airdrie Public Library from May-June 2016. The pictures above show the artworks that are hanging above the children's information books and the bottle cap dragon hanging above young adult fiction ( Love how the curators fitted the artworks to go with the themes of the literature!)
The dragon fell apart a little, and I've come to terms with it. It fell apart in a way that still works, you know? The tin lids that fell off left echoes of themselves as the paint that was around the lids now defines those missing scales. I mean, of course I can't wait to get it back in my hands to fix it, but for now it's okay!
Here's the finished version, except now i realize I took this photo before I painted the lower crossbars white, so wherever you see wood is actually white now.
Here is the picnic table with the lily pad design I've been working on. I'm officially done blocking in the blue, now its time for some green!
This is a recycle art piece that I've been working on the past month. I've always liked these dragons because of their array of colours and textures. The chinese dragon was the perfect subject to start exploring with recycle art because of what each different material could bring to it. This is on two panels. Each panel is 2 ft by 4 ft.
Here's a sculpt of Fawn from the Disney Fairies movies, well more specifically its her redesign from Neverbeast. Anyways, its coming along, still have to make her right arm and of course finish the bird. I'm going to try and use the airbrush on this one again, it will be more of a challenge than the Jack sculpt because of all the different colours she'll need.